12 April 2008

Oahu and Me

I just finished my first-ever visit to Hawaii and I'm in love! I recommend it to everyone within shouting distance.

Here are some of the highlights from our trip:

Food. My new favorite treat: Pickled Sweet Maui Onions from Buzz's Original Steakhouse in Kaneohe Bay, Oahu. The restaurant is fine dining in a rustic, hawaiian surf-shack setting -- we loved it.
The fabulous pickled onions are on the salad bar but they'll jar them up for you. At $5 a jar, I bought two and sent them home via USPS at Hickam AB.


Art. We went to Johnny and Bonnie Moore's Strong Current surfshop in Haleiwa. A long-time fixture here, they sell a lot of touristy stuff along with their custom-built surfboards.

I was in search of local art and bought two prints by North Shore artist, Heather Brown. I'm very, very happy with them and can't wait to get them framed and hung.


Clothing. Since it was our anniversary, my husband and I decided to get each other authentic Hawaiian gifts. I settled on two Tori Richard Aloha Shirts for him, purchased at the original store in Waikiki.

He'd already bought himself his first one at the Pearl Harbor NEX the day before but, after learning what he had, and then finding the Tori Richard store right down the street from our hotel, I dragged him in there and bought him two from me: one silk and one egyptian cotton. They're really beautiful. My favorite is the silk embroideried "The Aviator".

Jewelry. We heard about
Maui Divers Jewelry located in the Ala Moana mall and headed over there to get his gift for me: a little Hawaiian gold slipper pendant with a little diamond in the middle of the toe straps. I love it! He also bought me a diamond-cut gold chain to go with it. It really sparkles.

Good job, honey!
~ jewls

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so jealous! I can't wait to go back to Hawaii some day. Tell me though, did you make it to Hilo Hattie's? (I think that's how it's spelled - its been awhile.) That was a family tradition to go there at least once on our visit. Glad you had such a wonderful trip and keep up the good work - I'm so thankful for a comic that just gets it!!! Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Emily! No, we didn't get to go to Hilo Hattie's and we didn't get to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center.

I guess we'll have to go back. :-)

~ jewls